Managing Director of BT Ireland
Shay Walsh is Managing Director of BT Ireland, responsible for business and wholesale sales, network operations and the company’s data centre infrastructure in the Republic of Ireland. Shay, a 20-year veteran of the BT business, was appointed to the role in October 2015.
Shay joined Esat Telecom as an engineer in 1995, and following BT’s acquisition of the company in 2000, held several leadership roles within the business. In 2000, he became Director of Network Services, responsible for the design, build and operation of all voice, data, IP and transmission networks, and one year later, took on European responsibilities as Head of Network Operations for BT Global Services.
In 2003, Shay led the bid team for the outsource of Hutchison Whampoa's 3G mobile, and went on to become General Manager of the H3G roll out, acquiring, designing, building, and operating H3G Ireland's 3G network.
In 2005, Shay became Director of Services, and in late 2006 was appointed Managing Director of Wholesale. Under his leadership, wholesale revenues grew by 40% and profit by 300%. In 2011, Shay assumed the role of Managing Director of Business Sales, an all-island sales division with a turnover of £368 million, covering major accounts, enterprise, government and SME.
Prior to joining BT, Shay held positions at ESB, Galileo and Dataport.
Shay holds an honours degree in Electronic Engineering from DCU, and is an MBA graduate from the Smurfit Business School at UCD. Based in Castleknock, Dublin, he is married to the actress Eunice McMenamin and has three children. Shay is a passionate Dublin GAA football supporter, rugby fan and cyclist.
BT Ireland leadership team
- Gillian Chamberlain, General Manager Commercial & Marketing
- Gillian McMahon, HR Business Partner
- Peter Evans, Director of Wholesale ROI & Strategy
- Priscilla O’Regan, Head of Communications
- Jackie Philips, Director of Customer Operations
- Alan Shanley, Head of ROI Engineering Operations
- Aaron Carroll, Finance Director
- Therese Gunning, Head of Legal ROI (Advisory)
- Conor Patterson, Chief Information Officer
- Barry O’Shea, Client Services Director